Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Here We Go Again

So a couple of filmakers/wannabe archaeologists think they've found the bones of Jesus in a tomb.

No, really. And they've got a TV special AND a book coming out next week.

As Midwest Dad says, welcome to our Lent -- the season in which the secular world, which didn't know what to do with Jesus then and still doesn't now, brings forth yet another pseudodocumentary with oh-so-serious undertones. The bottom line is, well, the usual bottom line: $$$. Amazing, though, the public appetite for anything which tries to make Christians look like either fools or charlatans, or both. Can't hardly blame opportunists for capitalizing on the Lenten season, really; it's been so rewarding to others in the past.

The Church failed to self-destruct over the Duh-Vinci Code (two years ago) or the so-called gospel of Judas (last year), so perhaps this is the secularists' shot at try, try again -- or is that third time's the charm?

Not so much. This one is pretty lame, despite the aegis of The Discovery Channel. Yes, there are some who believe everything they see on TV is true, and for those we can only pray. As The Anchoress points out,

Stop fretting that “some may lose faith,” over this. If they do, then they were in the shallow soil to start with, and they’ll either find a better place to root or they won’t. Pray for them and then let the Holy Spirit do that Spirit Thang we love so much.

If I may make a prediction here: This will blow over pretty quickly.

But even if I'm wrong, and it grows legs, I don't think we should rise to righteous indignation over it. There are enough holes in this one to, well, sink the Titanic -- apropos, since the producer of the docudramamentary also made the movie about the boat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. It will blow over quickly, at least all the hoopla. And I don't think the book will do so well. I don't mind it as an attack on the faith, which it is [finding Jesus' bone box = NO resurrection, very simple].

What bugs me is that I just know some day I'll be at a party with some of my liberal/secular friends and someone will say "They found Jesus' bones. I saw it on TV." And then I'll have to decide right then and there if the person I'm talking with is worth the trouble. Do I patiently go through and separate the facts from the inferences and jumps of reasoning, trying to show that the person in question actually saw and knows no such thing? Or do I say, "TV, right. You're an idiot." I hate choices like that.

ps: I like the new layout!

Boomer Catholic said...

Lar, those choices drive me nuts, too. Probably the best thing to do is keep it light and humorous (which, on a certain level, this really is -- though secular folks probably wouldn't get it). Something like, "yeah, they found Al Capone's vault, too".

This layout is much more "me". Like most women, I love it when someone notices I've spruced up the house. Thanks!